You know that phrase “The good, the bad, and the ugly”? I used to use that a lot to break down the positives and negatives of something. Here lately, bad and ugly are both bad words. So, in order to do a quick recap of this week I want to focus on the greats, the goods, and the not-so-goods. It is easy to be negative with negative words in your vocabulary so I choose to focus on what I did good this week and reflect on how I can improve.
- Praxis Exams. I’m not sure if you are familiar with the Praxis test series but if you want to become a teacher in my state, you are required to take Praxis exams relevant to teaching and to the content area you have to take. I took my Principles of Teaching and Learning Praxis last month and it virtually traumatized me. Yesterday was Valentine’s Day but instead of spending the day doing mushy gushy stuff with my sweet boyfriend, we were up and on the road at 4:30 a.m. to make the four hour drive to Nashville for my content exam. It was exhausting but I’m so thankful to say that I passed my content exam with flying colors AND came home to find out that I had also passed my PLT exam that I took last month. This is a huge weight off my shoulders and I’m glad I never have to take those awful tests again. Oh, and nothing like spending 8 hours in the car with your fella on Valentine’s Day.
- Jeans. Speaking of my beau, I had a huge accomplishment this past week. It is no secret that I put on some pounds after we started dating. I have this pair of jean capris (don’t judge…capris are awesome) that I haven’t been able to button since we first got together. Well, last Sunday I couldn’t find anything to wear to church so I figured I would just try those jeans on and see what they felt like. Spoiler alert…they zipped right up and buttoned. They could definitely be a little more comfortable than they currently are but I’m just so thankful that they fit well enough for me to wear again. That sure is a GREAT in my book.
- Workouts. Momma and I did some walking this week even though the temperatures were pretty low here in East Tennessee. Monday was a pretty frustrating day for me so I took it out at the gym. I was going to run a mile but that mile turned into 3 miles in 28:17 which is smoking for me! I was stunned that it was under 30 minutes and I’m stunned I ran that pace without stopping. Tuesday was a great workout day with the Biggest Winner team. Wednesday was sprint day and since we were expecting snow that night I was forced to get in my workout early that morning. I had some amazing (for me) split times for .25 mile repeats: 2:05, 2:06, 2:02, 1:59, 2:03, 2:03, 2:01, 2:05, 1:57.
- Snow. Tennessee doesn’t get snow very often but this week changed that. We got 8 inches here in our little town and white was all we could see for miles. I’ve never seen so much snow at one time and it was so fun to get outside and play in it. Rubbermaid container lids don’t make for the best sledding but it was fun while it lasted. The kids in our county loved the snow days.
- Lack of motivation. Being snowed in on Wednesday night and all day Thursday really caused me to struggle with food. I snacked throughout both days and made very poor food choices. Most of it even made me sick to my stomach on Thursday night which shows that our bodies just aren’t meant for junk food. Unfortunately the only exercise I got on Thursday was playing in the snow. Friday was no better since we were on the road for a good part of the day and it included a celebratory lunch at Red Lobster and a milkshake from Chick-fil-a. Oh, and no exercise. But I’m not going to focus on the negative. In the past if I had a bad day with food/exercise or even a couple of bad days then I just said SCREW IT and gave up. That’s not who I am anymore. Stuff happens and mistakes are made but dwelling on them won’t change the fact that the action is already done. Food isn’t the enemy anymore and even though I struggled with exercise the past two days, I won’t feel defeated.
What are some greats and goods you have had this week?